Thursday, March 18, 2010

Try Smiling

When I was in high school, my mom gave me one of her two copies of

The Best Loved Poems of the American People

because I had been reading it incessantly and had so many pages marked and dog-eared. I know, "NO DOG-EARING PAGES," says the librarian. But I say, sometimes you just HAVE to dog-ear!

Because I have been struggling with the doldrums this end-of-winter, and because this is what the world really REALLY needs right now, I share with you one of my favorites from the book:

Try Smiling

When the weather suits you not,
Try Smiling
When the coffee isn't hot
Try smiling
When your neighbors don't do right,
Or your relatives all fight,
Sure 'tis hard, but then you might
Try Smiling
Doesn't change the things, of course,
Just Smiling
But it cannot make them worse,
Just Smiling
And it seems to help your case,
Brightens up a gloomy place,
Then, it sort o' rests your face,
Just Smiling
.
~unknown

Today, I had a woman tell me in conversation that she hates to worry. She finds that there is no usefulness in worrying. She said, "tell me one thing good that comes from worry - tell me one-half of one good thing that comes from worry. There isn't one, or even half of one."

So, don't worry. Be Happy.
Count your blessings.
Try smiling.

Photobucket

2 comments:

Sheila said...

Well, you made me smile today!

Nancy said...

I hope your post made you smile like it did me!!