Thursday, March 4, 2010

Vintage Fiber Tools and More

After all this lackluster business, today I am as happy as the cat who ate the canary! Because a nearby woman had a fiber arts yard sale, and I scored all the points! Well, if it were a sport, and points were awarded, I would be the winner of all the points. Really.

See above the handspun wool in beautiful chocolate brown. See the vintage bottom whorl drop spindles. See the FREE woven runner all colorful underneath. See the large weaving loom surrounding the group. And the antique blue metal child's loom over therein the back. This entire grouping: $6.00.

Now, take a look at these beautiful antique wood bobbins, all colorful in their basket. I also found a really cute use for bobbins at Kenner Road. But, I really love the way they look in this basket!Pan out a little further, and you will have the entire picture.A set of antique hand carders, not in great shape, but functional. They are from L.S. Watson & Co. and the stamp is barely visible on the back: "The Only Genuine Old Whittemore Patent No. 8 Wool."

A flick carder, in pretty decent shape. It is stamped "TekoTeko: Made in New Zealand." TekoTeko is a Maori word (Maori wood carvings), but not a manufacturer or company name. This flicker was probably made by Pipycraft (now defunct).

A drum carder. A DRUM CARDER. Did you read that? A drum carder! A little hard on the eyes, but in good working condition. Made by Clemes & Clemes. No way was I going to even get near one of these babies anytime soon, unless by just this very slim chance in the form of a huge blessing called a fiber arts yard sale. The woman used to teach spinning and carding and weaving, and just wanted to rid herself of the old teaching tools. For very small prices. Somebody pinch me! No, wait, just give me a nudge to wake me up.

And, let us not forget the last of the amazing finds. The books. Some were free. Some were $1.00. There were a few children's books, a few weaving books, a few spinning and dyeing books, and a few pamphlets and leaflets. I think my favorite book is going to be Spinning and Dyeing the Natural Way by Ruth Castino.

(A book on my wish list to complete my novice library is Spin It: Making Yarn from Scratch.)

So, you see, it was a very good day full of homey, hearthy fabulous fiber tool finds. What more could one ask? Well, a visit from the raw fleece fairy would be a welcome occurrence.

What treasure trove have you found lately?

Photobucket

2 comments:

Ann Martin Photography BLOG said...

The wonderful thing is your appreciation of your finds. It would have been a shame for so many wonderful things to have gone at a cheap price to somebody who didn't really understand their value.
I'm thrilled for you!

Deb G said...

Oh my gosh! I'd so be doing the happy dance about that drum carder! Congratulations on your find, this is an awesome one!