Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Word Wednesday, but Not A Word

(Reach for the Stars print, available on Etsy)

Today, in the spirit of Word Wednesday, I am sharing a "cliche" phrase with you instead of a word definition.

"Hitch your wagon to a star."

Aim high; don't pitch your aspirations too low. Ralph Waldo Emerson appears to have originated this expression in his essay on "Civilization" in Society and Solitude (1870).

The 18th century poet Edward Young had the same advice in mind with his Night Thoughts:
"Too low they build who build beneath the stars."

(This entry was found in The Dictionary of Cliches, by James Rogers)

The photo for this entry is an 8" x 10" print available for purchase from trafalgarssquare on Etsy. There are some wonderful prints there, including one called Catching Stars that I love. Follow the links to take a gander.

So, hitch your wagon to a star
and soar above the mire of mundane existence.


Photobucket

2 comments:

Kit Chase said...

Thank you so much for featuring my print! I actually just released this print today, so I'm delighted it found a fan so quickly!

Kit

Lori at Jarvis House said...

Fortunately, the school district that I went to in Nassau County, Long Island, did just that. They taught us never to put a limit upon what we wanted to do or be. It has gotten me to very interesting places. Cheers, we now have Spring.