Friday, April 16, 2010

Food Friday: Cold Mountain Miso

I had reason to get acquainted with Cold Mountain Miso recently, and I am HOOKED!  I love Asian foods, but we often avoid them because of objectionable ingredients. I do not eat any processed soy products, and avoid GMO products and those containing MSG.  A friend of ours who is a Naturopath recently recommended Cold Mountain Miso as a food that is drinkable, easy on an upset stomach, and helps replace electrolytes and nutrition during an illness.

For those who are unfamiliar with miso, it is a soybean paste used in making Japanese soups. Cold Mountain is a brand made by Miyako Oriental Foods, Inc. This company uses only non-GMO and organic ingredients, which makes them A-OKAY in my humble opinion. If you have ever eaten miso soup, you will know that it often has bits of seaweed, tofu, and chopped scallions floating in the miso broth. It is a very subtle, yet complex, mix of flavors and there is something very soothing about drinking this soup.

On the advice of our N.D. friend, we purchased light yellow miso (Shinshu Shiro Miso). This brand is a fresh, raw fermented miso, so it is kept in the cold section at the grocery store. It is milder because it is only fermented for 10 - 12 weeks. I remember liking red miso in my earlier years, so I also purchased some red (Aka Miso). The darker color and deeper flavor comes from extra fermentation time; red miso is aged 5 to 6 months.

I have been having this soup for breakfast every morning. The trick with miso is that you have to boil the water, then remove it from the heat BEFORE you put in the miso paste. If you put the miso in while the water is still cooking, you will damage the miso and "kill" its beneficial properties.  I often just have it plain, with nothing in the water but the miso paste to make the broth. Other days, I will boil the water, then crack an egg and stir the raw egg into the boiling water (egg drop soup style), then add the miso paste, and drink!

 What are the ingredients? Filtered water, organic soy beans, cultured rice, sea salt. That is all. Simple, organic, wholesome, DELICIOUS!  A serving is 1/2 cup of water to 1 tsp of paste. I make 1 cup of water and use 2 tsp of paste.One serving delivers 10 caloris, 1 g of protein, 1 g of carbohydrate, 1 g of sugars, and 340 mg of sodium. (I am getting double these amounts, since I am drinking two servings.) I am not watching my sodium intake for any reason, and I don't generally add salt to my foods, so this amount of sodium is fine for me.

If this sounds like something you would enjoy, ask your grocer. I have read that Whole Foods carries this miso, but I don't have a Whole Foods where I live. I have a local chain store that is thankfully very well stocked in health foods and herbal remedies. A 14 oz. container costs about $4.00 at my grocery store.

This is NOT a sponsored post.
Miso is yummy!




Bookmark and Share

Add to Technorati Favorites

Photobucket

1 comment:

SLColman said...

I will have to look for this since it looks to be safe for me :) Thanks for the info!!