Thursday, May 27, 2010

Thank you Firefighters!

This was the view at Deer Palace this morning from under the apple tree.I was there under the apple tree with Amilia
while the firemen
put out the fire in our chimney.One of them worked inside the house to make sure
the fire was out in the elbow inside while the other
was on the roof...We did get an exciting close-up look at their nifty truck...
And we were happy to see this side of it when they
had finished helping us
keep the chimney fire
from igniting any
other part of
our home.

I have never before had to call a firefighter to my house, and I hope to never have to do so again.
However, I am so thankful that they were there to call when I needed them, and that they were so friendly. That elbow in the wood stove chimney has always caused me a bit of nail biting, but this year, it had built up more creosote than we realized. In a normal year, we would have already retired the stove for the year and had the entire thing cleaned and waiting for next winter, but with this weird weather and the days in the mid-40's, we have resorted to using it some this month, since it is our primary source of heat. This was a GOOD REMINDER TO CLEAN THE CHIMNEY mid-season sometimes. Our wood this year was a bit less seasoned than it could have been, and the firemen said that was probably the cause of the extra build-up.

Counting my blessings...

Bookmark and ShareAdd to Technorati FavoritesPhotobucket

2 comments:

Lori at Jarvis House said...

The rule of thumb about chimney cleaning is that you should do it each time after burning a chord of wood. A stove that is air tight sometimes doesn't get hot enough to burn the creosote away, or something. We should all know the more scientific facts about wood stoves if we are using them, including me, especially about the clearances from walls. My dad almost burned his house down by keeping his Franklin stove too hot for too long and too close to the interior wall of the living room. I worry about my elbow pipe too. I had to have an expert certify the installation of my stove for my insurance company. Not a bad idea.

SLColman said...

Glad to hear that you all are OK!