Thursday, June 10, 2010

I love my chickens!

The other night, we couldn't decide what was for dinner. I said we needed to have something "eggy" because we certainly have enough eggs in the house this time of year. So, we decided on deviled eggs. We boiled 10 eggs and then shelled, halved, and emptied them of their yolks.
Smashed up the yolks with a fork and added a half tsp of raw apple cider vinegar, half tsp mustard powder, a sprinkling of dill, 1/8 tsp curry powder, 1/8 tsp salt, 1/4c mayonnaise (next time will make my own!). I have never tried a piping bag, but thought I might do a makeshift one out of ziplock baggie, even though I hate to admit I have them on hand - hate to use plastic... NO go. The bag split on the first one.So, I finished them with a spoon. I LOVE how dark orange and big the yolks are from my happy free range chickens. I absolutely believe that they are more nutritious when the hen is happy and allowed to forage for as much food as it can find. I have seen the proof, and nobody could make me believe that any egg from any store can match a small farm/homestead egg in terms of taste, color, yolk size, and nutritional content.These are like the eggs from my childhood. I remember them well. What a wonderful dinner my chickens have provided!
Bookmark and ShareAdd to Technorati FavoritesPhotobucket

2 comments:

Deb G said...

I love my chickens too...wish I'd gotten them sooner.

esthermelvin said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.