Monday, June 28, 2010

Quinoa Cabbage Wraps

This is the season of salads and raw vegetable crunch. I decided to throw together an experimental dish the other day, and I really liked the final result. I actually ordered from Chef Mr. Nature, and it was ready when I got home in the evening.Although it is not local to me or even my country, quinoa is a grain (a seed considered a grain) I can really get behind. It is light and nutty flavored, and it is easy and quick to prepare. It is similar in size and texture to couscous (but couscous is a pasta made from semolina wheat) and it is similar in taste to brown rice, with a kick. It is gluten-free and full of protein.

Mr. Nature had his mixed all together with the other ingredients in our summer repast, as seen in the bowl above, while I had mineall separated into a little production line of items to place onto raw cabbage leaves. We had sauteed mushrooms, zucchini, bellpepper and onion mixed in with the quinoa. Then there were black beans to lend their robust goodness to the mix, and fresh cilantro to sprinkle on top. (I had planned ahead and soaked the beans overnight. Most beans should be soaked before cooking.) I spooned a little of the quinoa mixture and a little of the black beans onto a cabbage leaf, topped it with cilantro, rolled it up, and munched contentedly.

I also added a little hot sauce to a few of my roll-ups just for some spicealicious fun for my tongue. It was a tasty dinner that I could really feel good about eating. I think I will do it again!

Tomorrow?
How do you eat your quinoa?

Bookmark and ShareAdd to Technorati FavoritesPhotobucket

1 comment:

Splendid Little Stars said...

Yum! I like the idea of using cabbage leaves instead of the more traditional lettuce.
PS: love your new blog background.