Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Super Cool Chicken Coop!

On Saturday, we went to a neighboring town for some fun and festivities. We attended their Artisan and Grower's Market, and there was a man there with this chicken coop for sale. It was already sold by the time we arrived, but it had yet to be picked up, so we got to take a gander.
It was made completely from used and reclaimed materials that he had lying around at his place, or that he picked up here and there in his travels. He will be making another one and will have it for sale there at another upcoming Saturday Market sale. Oh, that I had an extra $1,500.00 or so lying around to purchase one! Or that I had the materials and know-how to make my own...
It has plenty of windows for ventilation, a big, roomy nest box with an EASY access door, a small door on one end to let the girls in and and out, and a full sized door on the other end for easy access and cleaning.I think that its only shortcoming was that it was lacking wire on the inside of the windows and needing better (and more) roosting bars. The one roost was too high up and too close to the end wall to be very functional. I am proud of the coop (we call it the hen dog house) I made last year, but this one is at least 100 times better, and would look so cute in my yard!

It is added to my "someday" list...
Wouldn't it look great next to my gypsy wagon?
With the milk goat tied out to graze nearby?

Bookmark and ShareAdd to Technorati FavoritesPhotobucket

4 comments:

June said...

Such a great idea. I love the whimsy! Those would be some lucky chickens...

Lori at Jarvis House said...

I loved that chicken coop. My 32 year old son, living in suburbia wants a chicken coop and chickens. I sent him this post. I grew up with a dad that had a pigeon coop. We could walk inside it and it didn't look too different from the one that yo pictured, just a bit larger. Pigeon guano is great for small gardens, provided it is well rotted, One of our friends out east on L.I. used it to grow a lawn out to the edge of her dune!

Henrietta said...

Love that coop! It's adorable, if only mine was pretty! Building a functional AND pretty coop is on my to-do list someday!

Deb G said...

Oh that's sweet!