Saturday, August 21, 2010

Mantis

We have a new addition to our garden. Today, when we went to our neighboring farm to get some zucchini, tomatoes and peppers, we came home with a little something extra. Meet Manty. Or something like that.

We have a zucchini plant, a pepper plant, and some tomato plants. But our fruits of the vine are very slow in arriving this year. We have had two small zucchini and two small tomatoes thus far, and there is one pumpkin struggling to survive as well. I hold out hope.

I think every garden should have a mantis or two. Properly, I have learned that they are actually Praying Mantids, as only some are of the genus Mantis. (National Geographic) Whatever you call them, I call them good for my garden! They are carnivorous, and they eat all those destructive insects that I do not want in my garden. I hope Manty enjoys himself enough to stay.

Grasshoppers, BEWARE!

Photobucket

Bookmark and ShareAdd to Technorati Favorites

3 comments:

Lori at Jarvis House said...

Manty, might be Mantia, a female Praying Mantis. I have them in my garden and I did see one a few weeks ago, a much smaller one. I hope that it grows very large and eats up all of the bad bugs. The Preying Mantis egg case looks like a tan chrystal blob. Look for them, maybe there will be even more Preying Mantis in your garden next year.

Splendid Little Stars said...

great photo! I have seen them in my yard as well. I saw a teeny tiny one recently.

SLColman said...

I need one or more of those in my garden! Enjoy!