Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Thistle feeder

I have not been able to spend as much time outdoors this year as I like, and hadn't really spent any of my usual time watching the birds in the early mornings or evenings. Our old thistle sock would no longer hold anything, and I got tired of buying new ones all the time. I recently was asked to review a product for CSN Stores, and I am happy to report that my chosen item was a thistle feeder for Deer Palace. The above photo was taken last weekend as I watched the morning birds from West Deck.
I had been eyeing a more permanent feeder, but I wasn't certain I wanted to spend the money. Thistle seed is expensive as compared to other wild bird seed. Thistle socks are $6 to $8 each (usually filled with seed). The sock lasts about a month or two before it is pecked into disintegration. But that little $6 or $8 is much less than the $25 - $45 for a more permanent feeder.

I have since decided that having a more permanent feeder is so well worth the cost that I should have done it years ago. I have spent enough money in multiple thistle socks to have paid for the other feeder by now, and this feeder supports so many more birds than any sock ever did. I have had this new feeder up for about three weeks now, and I have at least 40 finches in my yard at any given time now. They are so fun to watch, and they are so beautifully vibrant!
The only problem is that Sriper Striper the Wonder Cat has noticed the extra activity as well, and has been skulking around in his wild tiger mode, stalking. The birds will actually dive at him and try to scare him away.

I love that I was able to find a feeder that is made of actual metal, with no plastic parts. If you want one, just look for the Small Nyjer Mesh Finch Feeder at CSN stores. It is currently on sale!

PhotobucketBookmark and ShareAdd to Technorati Favorites

*though I did receive the item in order
to evaluate it for review, the opinions
expressed are my own and were not
influenced by CSN stores.

1 comment:

Lori at Jarvis House said...

I'm going to try and find that Finch feeder here on Long Island. Does Home Depot sell them? I do have Golden Finches in the yard, but they flit around feeding on plant materials and they are so fast that I can't really study them. thanks for the info. cheers