Saturday, October 2, 2010

[Spiced] Red Lentil and Coconut Soup

Soup season has returned! Last night, we had one of my favorite soups; spiced red lentil and coconut soup. MMMMMmmmmm! It uses just enough spice to have a kick without being overpowering.

2 tbsp sunflower oil or coconut oil
1 red onion, chopped
1/8 tsp cayenne (or a smidge, or just a tad, or a sprinkle...this is all discretionary!)
3 small garlic cloves, minced (garlic I grew this year!)
1-inch piece of lemongrass, outer leaves removed and inside finely sliced
1 cup of red lentils (really, you can use whatever type of lentil you choose...each will give a slightly different outcome)
1 tsp ground coriander (this was exciting because I used coriander that I grew in my herb garden last year, ground with a mortar and pestle)
1 tsp paprika (organic, that I purchased in bulk)
1 2/3 cups coconut milk
juice of 1 lime
3 scallions (green onions), chopped
1 cup of cilantro, finely chopped
1/4 tsp. salt
fresh ground black pepper to taste

Heat the oil in a deep stainless steel frying pan. Add onions, garlic, and lemongrass. Saute for about 5 minutes, stirring as needed, until the onions are soft and have a clear look.

Add the lentils and spices. Pour in 3 3/4 cups water and stir. Pour in the coconut milk and stir. Add 1/4 tsp. salt. Bring to a boil, stir, then reduce the heat and simmer for 40 minutes or until lentils are soft an mushy. (I cooked without a lid and stirred about every 5 minutes to keep from sticking or scorching.)

Once the lentils are fully cooked (after about 40 minutes) reduce heat all the way to the lowest setting, just enough to keep it warm for serving. Pour in the lime juice and add (most of) the scallions and cilantro, reserving just a few for garnish. Season as desired with salt/pepper and garnish with cilantro and scallions.

I used all organic ingredients. I served with a crusty baguette, sliced and toasted with butter on my Wagner cast iron griddle.

This coming week is soup week...stay tuned!
PhotobucketBookmark and ShareAdd to Technorati Favorites

3 comments:

Lori at Jarvis House said...

Wow! That lentil soup sounds delicious, and I am forwarding your post to my daughter in Virginia. She follows a vegetarian diet. Do you have any recipies for Beets?

SLColman said...

I love red lentil soup and this one with coconut sounds wonderful!

Paula said...

That sounds soup-er good! Yum. What a combination of flavors!