Saturday, January 29, 2011

Fire is the phenomenon of combustion

The first few minutes of the new year began with fire for me. Fire in the pan, fire in the sky, fire on a blog I read regularly. New Year's Eve was a nice, cozy at-home evening of knitting and cocoa and movies. I was thinking about what a nice segue into the new year we were having, and then

KABOOM! The world exploded with fireworks outside. The oil in the pan got too hot to sautee the onions. The first few moments of the new year turned noisy and bright and chaotic. I wanted to discount this as setting a tone for the year, but when I awoke the next morning, one of my favorite blogs had a post about making fire. And so it was that I had my theme for the year. My word. My subject to explore.

And, just as suddenly, tomorrow is the last day of January, and I have not even completed my thoughts for a New Year's Day post, or begun to make any resolutions (see last year's post about how I usually don't do resolutions), or decided if I was going to make resolutions this year, or even lived up to my unspoken resolution to get back to posting 5x per week. This will be my fifth post of the month.

So, what is FIRE? There are many definitions, and many phrases that involve the word fire, but here is the first entry from Merriam Webster:

a (1) : the phenomenon of combustion manifested in light, flame, and heat (2) : one of the four elements of the alchemists.

So, the year began in a combustion of light and flame, if not the heat, and it has been burning ever since. January has been all consumed, and it happened so fast as to be on fire.

PhotobucketBookmark and ShareAdd to Technorati Favorites

2 comments:

ClayItAgain / 12MidnightOils said...

I can't believe we're already a month into this year! Must be 'the quickening'

Splendid Little Stars said...

So, it seems, your year will be very exciting, full of light and fire!