Sunday, February 6, 2011

Yarncycling

You've heard of Recycling, Upcycling, and Repurposing...but have you heard of Yarncycling? Probably not, because I just made that up. However, I did not make up the idea of frogging (ripping out all stitches back to the original yarn state) a sweater to recover its yardage. That probably goes back to the first knitters of sweaters, and many of us carry on the tradition to this day.
This lovely orange sweater was purchased by yours truly at a Goodwill store for $2.99. It looks good in the photo, and though I bought it specifically for frogging, I had hoped to get a bit of wear mileage out of it first. No luck, however, because it had some seam holes due to unraveling, and it was wonky in spots with "pulls." So RIP I did, and now I have YARN! Beautiful burnt orange 100% merino wool yarn. I saved the turtle neck part intact and finished the edging so that it makes a great cowl/gaiter.

But, now that I am yarncycling in earnest, I really needed a niddy noddy to properly wind the yarn into hanks instead of just making balls of yarn that are much more difficult to store. So, based on an idea I saw recently on a fellow Raveler's blog, I made one yesterday from PVC (a one-yard size small noddy).It is not particularly attractive, and I cannot take all the price tags off the tubes because when I did take one off, the sticky under it was nigh impossible to remove completely, and I don't want sticky sticking to my yarn...so ugly with price tags wins the day. But the price is definitely right: the entire thing, custom cut, cost $4.92. Now I have hanks...That turn into nice, tidy skeins for storage...Isn't that a beautiful sight? I have one ball left to hank, but so far I have three finished at 175 yards, 175 yards, and 192.5 yards. The last one will be in the ballpark of 175 as well. Where, I ask you, can you get 717 yards of premium 100% Merino wool for $2.99? Goodwill, I say! If you are willing to work for it...

I am pleased, and I even like it in orange.
PhotobucketBookmark and ShareAdd to Technorati Favorites

4 comments:

Small Footprints said...

What a great idea ... I love that! When I go to the craft store, I love looking at all the yarn but ... I also feel bad that so many new products are on the shelf. "Yarncycling" is brilliant! Thanks so much for sharing the idea! :-)

ChickiePea said...

VERY cool. I don't knit (yet) but always look for wool sweaters at the thrift stores to felt. LOVE the orange too!

Splendid Little Stars said...

That is so amazingly awesome!! brilliant! would love to see the cowl you made.

Jezebelle said...

I'm recycling this exact same sweater in the exact same color right now! I'm not a huge fan of orange, so I'm overdyeing my reclaimed yarn with KoolAid to get it a lovely scarlet color.