Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Word Wednesday - Antimacassar

It has been a long time since I posted a Word Wednesday.  So long that I forgot that I should publish it by Tuesday night so you get to read it on Wednesday instead of Thursday!

However, the word is antimacassar.  I was reminded of this word by a book I just finished.  I hadn't heard this word in years, and bet most people under 35 don't know the word at all.

So here is what Merriam Webster has to say on the subject:

definition of ANTIMACASSAR

: a cover to protect the back or arms of furniture

Origin of ANTIMACASSAR

anti- + Macassar (oil) (a hairdressing)
First Known Use: 1844
You know those doilies on Great-Grandma's sofa?  Those are antimacassars.  What are you waiting for?  Go tat one!

 Photobucket Bookmark and Share--> Add to Technorati Favorites

No comments: